1990 740GL gearbox

Does this gearbox have bands? What would cause slight shudder in first on takeof ? Worse if towing a trailer.

Reply to
F Murtz

What gearbox? That car could have either the AW-70/71 or the ZF 4HP22 automatics, or the M47 manual. To my knowledge, all automatics have bands and clutch packs, both of which wear and can slip with age. If manual, the clutch is the primary suspect, oil contamination tend to cause it to shudder at takeoff.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is an automatic that is why I mentioned bands, I did not think manuals had bands. I do not know which sort of auto box it is,How do I tell? My service manual says nothing much about the gearbox other than it is too complicated for non experts.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well for the most part that is true. I've rebuilt autoboxes before but there is generally little to adjust, when they wear out, you rebuild them.

The AW boxes will have P-N-1-2-D and a small button on the side to disable the overdrive. The ZF will have P-N-1-2-3-D.

Reply to
James Sweet

It must be an aw box. What I am trying to find out is if it has bands and how to adjust them. I have read that not all volvo boxes have bands they have some other system with no bands. my manual says nothing about bands or if they need adjusting and so far I am getting nowhere googling.

Reply to
F Murtz

I found this on the web from someone else's inquiry. So no bands to adjust But I still have the other problem of shudder in first which might not be a simple matter.

Any Bands to Adjust? [Inquiry:] I recently acquired a Volvo with an AW-70 in good condition from my brother-in-law. I am planning to flush the ATF and replace the filter in the near future. My friend suggested adjusting the bands while I have pan off. Is this a reasonable thing to do? Does the AW70 even have adjustable bands?

[Response: Abe Crombie] The AW55/70/71/72 and BW55 don't have bands. These gearboxes use friction discs as brakes. Disc brakes don't require (nor is there any way for) adjustment.
Reply to
F Murtz