Cold-air intake and fuel economy Volvo 850s (non-turbo)

Hello,

Can cold-air intake yield a small improvement in fuel economy on a

1997 Volvo 850 (non-turbo)? Would fuel economy improvement sacrafice performance?

What would be the best ways to go about adding a cold-air intake?

Thank-you

Reply to
socraticquest

All of the Volvos I've dealt with already have an intake snorkel from the airbox to up in front of the grill. Seems the one of the first things performance nuts do is mess with the airbox but the factory setup is excellent. If you want to maximize fuel economy make sure your tires are filled to the max pressure, remove unnecessary cargo from the car, and run synthetic oil. All of these things will have a greater effect on economy, particularly the tires. Driving style has a huge effect as well.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's best to inflate the tires to 10% below the max listed pressure, both to avoid gauge error related damage and to give an acceptable ride with the higher economy. If the handling seems too 'touchy' at 10% below max, try 15 or 20% below. I've been running tires at 38-40psi for many years.

Reply to
Leftie

"socraticquest" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
franz47

"socraticquest" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

In my opinion the most important single factor reducing fuel consumption/distance is the grey jelly-like mass sitting between my ears. Just consider that every time you brake you are converting mechanical energy (for which to get you had to burn about 3 times the energy amount as fuel) into useless heat, means practically burning your money into smoke. Your driving habits is what mostly influences fuel consumption, if the rest of the car is ok. Franz47

Reply to
franz47

i think the question is if one of these new electric superchargers will work. yes & no! yes, they will provide a real intake boost.in fact my ME friends find them infinitely superior to mechanical superchargers. the trick now is to intercool them efficiently. once they're in production, Geeley (Haaaaaaa......) will bring them to you. no, YOUR ecu is too old to make seemless use of it. the simplest required modifications would be changing the timing & using higher octane (Myst races on 102 & is eco-sensitive on 96, both w/ a BTU boost {how did they do that? do you have a very,very,very long time?}).

but i race. for ordinary purposes Volvo weighed & balanced a number of factors. they then built a beautiful engine. you can't save money by changing it!!! if i tell her to Myst will get 13 km/l, but i'm ripping her apart -- esp on the track. i'm saving up for a complete rebuild this winter maybe sooner, you have no idea how much all those ti widgets cost. i'll consider myself lucky. formula 1 teams consider themselves lucky if they get 1 race.

finally i'm w/ the smart man who responded earlier. just do the simple stuff & the rest will take care of itself. do maintainance as per Volvo spec. most of the rest is snake oil -- i own a snake or she owns me, we're not quite sure. she has no body fat. syntec is better. is it more cost effective? probably not, but it is more forgiving. if i talk air filters, we'll just have an argument. however; new & clean is better than old & dirty. if you drive in a # of different enviroments, consider having different air filters. if you intend to keep the vehicle a while you won't end up buying any more filters. you will learn to identify need for replacement by inspection, not mileage. tyres? well it's a trade off. better traction means worse mileage.

off subject: have you read the Phaedo?

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer