1993 240 high NOX

Hi there !! I just managed to pass the NYS inspection on my new (to me) 245 w/182k miles. I took it last Saturday and it failed the NOX, the mechanic suggested a tune up, I then replaced the following items:

Spark plugs (bosch platinum), spark plug wires (bosch), distributor cap, rotor, air filter, flame trap, hose from flame trap to breather box, hose from flame trap to intake manifold, cleaned brass nipple at manifold. Put 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel with a 12 Oz bottle of Techron, to clean injectors, did a lot of highway driving (65-80 MPH), used all the fuel, put another 12 gallons and another bottle of Techron, and took the test. Barely passed, this are the results:

HC CO NOX Before tune up .64 ppm 6.51 ppm 2.46 ppm After tune up .42 ppm 3.50 ppm 1.99 ppm Max Limit .80 ppm 15.00 ppm 2.00 ppm

What should I look at now to lower NOX ?

The car was at normal operating temperature at the test. The car sat for a while before I bought it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Arnold

arnold_perez13 at verizon dot net

sorry for the spam kill

Reply to
arnold

This is from the IPD catalogue

, something every 240owner should have on their coffee table. High NOX, you could have:

Lean Mixture Timing too far advanced on 1988 and older cars EGR system malfunction like: Bad Valve Broken Vacuum Line Plugged Pipe Bad Vacuum Controller Engine/cat not fully warmed up Bad Catalytic Converter

Good Luck,

--

-don

'81 242t '89 744ti

Reply to
don hodgdon

The cat converter is the most expensive item on the list, but it has gone more miles than its expected life.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

-- besides carb adj., try checking/replacing the carb-to-manifold gasket and the manifold-to-head gasket as well as any other vac lines in the manifiuld after the carb. Even a leaking vac canister. An air leak there will cause lean mix.

--easily checked, and even retarding it JUST A BIT before the test can help.

--The smog test shop should check this- easy enoiugh to do by just disconnecting the vac line and connecting a hand vac pump.

--not a problem here in this case

A muffler shop can check this, but if you have a pyrometer or an infrered non-contact thermometer, try checking the temps at the header pipe into the cat, the cat temp, and the exhaust pipe temp at the exit of the cat. It should be substantially hotter going out than going in. One way to check the cat's function.

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.

From what you state it would seem that the converter has seen better days look in to replacing it

Reply to
G Klein

Reply to
Bob the Sailor

Yesteday I cleaned the throttle body assy, and the idle solenoid, installed new gasket on the TB to manifold, and it idles better, I have another year before I take it to emmissions again, will see about having a pre-cat and post cat reading, thanks to all who posted.

Arnold

Reply to
arnold

You can buy "limited lifetime warranty " direct fit fit converter at places like Autozone in for around $100.00 .

Reply to
nospam4me

Also, the cat can cool off enough just waiting a few minutes for the test to actually start. In Ontario, our test aborts as soon as the test program determines that the car will pass. Often, this is as the cat is warming up, so one of the pollutants is very close to the limit, but heading down. This scares people into thinking the car will not pass next time.

Reply to
Mike F