1994 850 rear main seal

I just purchased a 1994 (late) 850 (non Turbo) with 184,000 miles and the rear seal leaks worse than a sieve (at least a sieve would slow it down). I plan on doing the fix myself. Is there any tricks/tips/hints that someone could give me that will save me time/skin/frustration in doing this job?

Already checked the flame trap and that has been removed. I was told the rear pan bolts were checked and tightened (don't know about sealant) but the leak appears higher than the pan.

I do plan on changing the timing belt and water pump while it is out, is there anything else I should change while I am in there?

Reply to
xr350r

This job is generally done with the engine in and the transmission out and is a dirty job in your driveway. There's lots to do and the transmission is complete with the differential and thus extremely heavy! You need to remove the subframe and somehow support and then slightly lower the engine from the top.

If you're going to pull the engine/transmission assembly, it will come out from the top with a normal engine hoist.

Reply to
Mike F