850 High Oil consumption

Hi all

I have a 850 GLT with 140,000 miles. It has just been serviced, passed emission tests and has no oil leaks. Yet, it is now doing 350 miles to the litre of Mobil 1 (0W40 - synthetic). Is this high consumption due to using Mobil 1? Can any body suggest some diagnostics that an amatur like me can perform.

Stuart Dentt

Reply to
Stuart Dentt

See if there's pressure at the oil cap at idle. If there is air coming out the oil cap, either your engine is shot or the PCV system is plugged. The PCV system consists of an oil trap on the side of the block and hoses that run to the head, block and intake system. If this is not functioning properly, you can have high oil consumption. Generally the system clogs up because of inadequate oil change interval or poor quality oil.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike

Thanks for this info. When I take the dipstick out at idle a pulsatiing mist comes out.

Stuart Dentt

Reply to
Stuart Dentt

All who are interested

I have now checked the flame trap and it is clear also there is not discernable pressure at the oil cap. Has anybody got any other tips?

I am trying 15W/40 to see if it makes any difference.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Dentt