rear main seal (replacement with one piece seal)

I have an 85 CJ7 amc 150 i4 and currently doing a clutch job-flywheel is pulled off. The rear main seal is leaking, and I'm not sure if I actually have to pull the oil pan to put a new one piece seal in. If I don't have to pull the oil pan etc, do I have to drain the oil or would the oil level be sitting below the seal when the engine is off?

Reply to
alexmacpherson

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

off:

level is always well below> the crankshaft throws. Usually the oil leak is the rear part of the valve> cover.

Thanks Bill! Here's a pic of my rear main seal :

alexmacpherson