1995 850glt wagon - front rotors- do they wear fast?

the car has 114k miles on it, so the fact that the rotors are worn is not too surprising. but it seems that the aftermarket pads i installed (Carquest branded) about 5 months ago have not worn at all, and the rotor actually looks worse (ie THINNER- not grooved at all BTW) is it possible that the pads have glazed making them harder than steel? or is this simply ridiculous? i think the pads are all organic, but they may be a semimetallic formula... thanks for any advice about this! robbie

Reply to
Robbie Wilson

Todays(non-asbestos) pads wear disks much faster.

Reply to
Me

Volvo Rotors are notorius for quick wear. My ex was a warranty administrator for a local volvo dealer and she use to always tell me the storys of how the rotors and pads wore out in anywhere from 15k to 25k miles. I just had a look at my 94 850 rotors the other week and they are worn, theres a lip on the outside diamater, the shop that did the inspection said next time I need pads, it's definately time for new rotors (though he didnt measure them). My cars got 92,000 miles on it. I dont know if these are originals or not since I bought it at 87k. From what she explained to me, Volvo uses very soft metals in their rotors and pads to offer better braking power at the cost of longevity. Since I've not done any tests on that myself, I can't swear to accuracy of the statement.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058