rotors/pads question

Hello,

I was told by a subaru dealership/service station that I need to replace all 4 rotors and pads on my '01 outback ll bean. They quoted me $835 parts/labor for subaru parts. I called a local service station and they quoted me $550 parts/labor for non-subaru parts -- wagner pads and another company's rotors.

Can anyone think of a reason not to go with the cheaper option? I use the car for "normal" driving only.

Thanks in advance.

P. Flaxman

Reply to
flax

Many aftermarket pads are better than stock...depending on what qualities you are after. I prefer ceramic or metal pads and don't care for Wagner but they may have a product that suits you fine. Same thing with rotors but be very careful...some companies sell very poor quality rotors. I would stay away from any slotted rotors. TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
WRXtreme

All 4 rotors are rusted down and beyond repair and the brakes are noticably not performing well.

Reply to
flax

Because he said "I use the car for "normal" driving only." and slotted rotors tend to run hotter....sure they have a better bite because of the vented gasses but more friction and the resulting heat can be a problem for normal driving...plus the slotted are usually more expensive. TG

Reply to
TG

Hi,

I can think of several reasons...

But first let's look at your rotors. You said they're rusted. On the braking surface itself, enough that the existing rotors can't be turned and stay within spec? If so, yes, get new rotors. If the rust is elsewhere, welcome to life in disc brake land: they pretty much all rust on the non-braking surfaces, frequently with no adverse affect, and shops love to scare folks with "look at this" kinds of techniques. Rust here in SoCal's mainly a cosmetic problem, in snowy, salted areas, it can be serious. Ask what thickness the existing rotors are, what the minimum thickness is (it's stamped on there somewhere, by law, I believe) and whether they can be turned AND stay safely at or above minimum. Turning's much cheaper than replacement in most cases.

Now, if you DO need new rotors, watch carefully what they put on the car. Do NOT accept anything with "Made in China" on the box unless it's got Subaru's name on it (which I'm sure it won't!) or you get an absolute ironclad warranty from the seller. The Chinese might make some decent rotors somewhere, but your chances of getting garbage in the aftermarket are far better than even IME. (I'm not being anti-Chinese, you can read about this subject on many auto forums.)

Wagner pads... not sure what to say. My experience is less than satisfactory with their pads. Very short lived, very dusty for the non-metallic version. Semi-metallics ate rotors faster than some others. I prefer Subie OEMs even if you don't go with Subie rotors, though some sources recommend matching brand of rotor and pad.

Also, find out about what grade of parts the shop's gonna use. If Subaru does it, you know, but if an independent does the job, you need to ask. I'm sure Wagner has, and I KNOW Raybestos has, different grades of both rotors and pads. Prices aren't that much different from "good" to "better" to "best." Even though you are only doing "normal" driving, there's always something "abnormal" that pops up. What's a few bucks if it's your safety? There are places to save money, but I don't consider brakes to be one of them.

Another thing: IF you do have a serious rust issue, then there's a great potential for water contamination in your brake fluid, so you want to make sure the shop does a complete flush of the system, not just a cursory bleeding when they finish the job. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and it becomes much less effective when contaminated by water due to a lower boiling point, as well as possibly causing rust in your calipers and steel brake lines. Many people recommend changing fluid every two years.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright