1998 S70 AC freon fast leak?

Hello,

I know that I've got a leak somewhere in the system. I was told it was the high pressure hose from a mechanic who saw the oily gunk on the hose.

Anyhow, I've gone the cheap route and have recharged with cans of freon here and there. The first time I only put in a can, and it lasted 6 months. Then, I put in a can that also had a sealant, but that only lasted

2 weeks. My last 2 cans only lasted two weeks too! Grrr.

So, here's the question part .... I know that the AC won't put out cold air if the freon level is too low. If my car was working just fine on Friday night, but all of a sudden on Saturday and today the AC doesn't get cold, can I assume that it's the usual low level problem again? And with that, is there any way to tell if it's just a hose, compressor or something else? The shop wants $370 to replace a single hose and put in freon! Oh my!

Any suggestions, or just grin and bear it? Texas heat sucks, so I need a quick answer!

Thanks, Mike