1998 S70 T5 oil cooler

Looking at a complete replacement of ALL cooling system parts because of a faulty oil cooler which allowed oil to leak into the system.

ALL hoses, water pump, radiator, thermostat, etc. All associated parts.

$1100 parts plus $1200 labor.

Are there any options?

I suppose just trying to flush out all the crap and just replacing the radiator is a bad idea?

Thanks for any opinions.

--M Indiana

Reply to
Michael

Another question....

Does the oil cooler cool the transmission fluid or the engine oil?

Reply to
Michael

There's a cooler in each tank, the left side for the transmission, the right side for the engine. To your earlier post, I would certainly skip replacing the water pump. New hoses won't add any labour, and don't really cost that much, so it's cheap insurance, although I doubt that even that is necessary.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike.

Just had the car towed back to my place and thought I'd do the repair myself. I think you're right...as long as the pump is working, it sjould clean out ok.

350 in parts (including new hoses) sounds alot better.

They say getting the radiator out is a snap but on first glance, I wonder about that....looks like the fan and shroud need to come out first?

Anyway, didn't lose much oil and it doesn't look to bad.

The coolant is very gummy though....of course I will drain and fill both 2 or 3 times at least.

If you have any hints for me on this repair, I sure would appreciate it. !

Reply to
Michael

Try to find a boat store near you & purchase 2 bottles of bilge cleaner this will remove almost of the oil water mix you have now just regular flushing will not do the trick have used this in the past with other Volvo's that had the problem you had happen to you. Glenn K ASE Certified Technician Volvo Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn

How about

Mike F

Oh man...thanks alot. That's just what I needed.

Also the bilge cleaner sounds like a great idea...thanks very much.

I hope I don't have a problem...I was under the impression by some bad info I read that the radiator could come out from the top. (98 S70 T5)......but it's obvious that you get it out from below.

Trouble is, I don't have a lift.....so I hope I can get the car jacked up high enough to replace it. Do you think I'll be alright?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Michael

Personally, I've never done this job, so I'd trust the words of the guy who has. That said, I would have tried to take it out the top. However, raising the car up on ramps would give you enough clearance if it needs to come out the bottom.

Reply to
Mike F