oil cooler ?

Do aftermarket remote oil coolers provide enough cooling performance to replace the stock oil cooler ? My thought is that if the electric fan powered cooler works correctly,(keeps the engine at least as cool as the stock cooler) the air on the heads would be cooler and possibly I could mount the remote oil cooler in the front floorboard area as a heater. Thanks Mark

Reply to
MarkH

aftermarket coolers should ONLY be used IN ADDITION TO the stock cooler.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

i have tried some "MESA" or other american cooler imported, they are inefficient, i commonly use older coolers from european wrecked cars one my friend use only a front mounted cooler for his 10:1 2366cc type 4 from a mercedes 250 turbodiesel. it is high 2inches tall x 20inches long and it is mounted in the bumper. also at 230kmh it cools well!

Reply to
PEPPE

However, the idea of using one as a heater is interesting. Except in the summer. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Hi all.I've seen remote oil coolers used as heaters,mounted in the kick panel under the back seat.Works in a beetle.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Actually it doesn't make much sense. If you have an *additional* oil cooler under the back seat of a beetle (As John said, you should still keep the original cooler too), you won't have any AIRFLOW through it unless you mount FANS. Now, during the hottest days, you would need to turn the fans on, and that would heat your cabin even hotter than it already is, while you want it to be cool. So you turn the fans off. Now all you have is a number of hose joints that are always a leak risk, plus you have a cooler that doesn't really cool anything. Plus you have a long oil line that gradually (not if you knew how to build it) would drain back into the case. Resulting in NO LUBRICATION during startup.

Ok, enter wintertime. Your cabin is cold, and you want to warm it up. The engine is already running cool, and by turning on your "cabin heater", you will make the engine run even COOLER. As in, TOO COOL. You get accelerated wear and poor mileage. It will never reach normal operating temperature.

So all in all, an "oil cooler cabin heater" is a bad, backwards idea.

Use a thermostat controlled cooler located in cool air flow, or if you can't provide cold airflow through it, use thermostat controlled fans. In MOST CASES, you don't even NEED an additional oil cooler. An engine that needs one was most likely built or tuned wrong. A 1776cc Engle W110 cammed dual Dellorto 40 equipped, 100hp engine for example, does NOT require an external oil cooler. Yet, many people will install one because "all the cars in the magazines" had one. And yes, it's easy to assemble a street engine from cool go-fast goodies, but to truly BUILD one and REDESIGN every aspect of the engine for reliable performance, requires a little deeper understanding of the system as a whole.

Anyone can slap together an ACVW engine. It's the details that make or break it.

/end rant

Guess some of you might remember this as one of my pet peeves, along with that stupid starter relay idea and a few others ;) Jan

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Didn't say it made sense.It is a source of some heat.As my previous post said,extra coolers are not needed for most cars,but at least heating the interior some is as good a use as any.The added oil capacity is plobably a good thing(though the stock pump gets hard pushed to keep the pressure up the more distance it has to pump the oil)Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

It's a source for heat inside the car, when you DON'T want it, and when you DO need it, it hurts the engine...

But yes, it would bring a little heat into the interior of the car :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Heat's overrated anyway. Except for deicing the windows.

Get a big coat and some gloves. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton