1999 S80 Brake Failure Stop ASAP

Anyone experiencing apparently bogus computer errors with their S80. I have spent $2000 and had ABS and Throttle Body Assembly replaced twice in the past few months. I guess the real question is has anyone received a definitive answer on what causes it and how to fix it.

Please Help.

Reply to
JimRadinDenver

Sadly, I've read there are many electrical problems with the 1999 S80.

In fact, Volvo dealerships are selling '99 S80s for $19k Cnd, and '00 S80s for $28k Cnd!! Why such a big difference for one year, the '99 still has a CPO warranty 'till

160kms when purchased from a dealer, and the '00s had more kms on average!

Lemon Aid (Canadian publication on new/used cars) doesn't recommend the 99 S80, nor the '98 S/V-70 for their numerous electrical problems.

I hope someone will be able to help you with your problem, however, writing to Volvo may be a good start. If you have a local car authority like we do here called the APA (Automobile Protection Agency), they may be able to help out with secret warranties and provide you with information you normally wouldn't be able to get from a dealer.

Reply to
Myron Samila

$28k Cnd!!

160kms when
Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

$28k Cnd!!

160kms when

I have owned a '98 V70 T5 since new but have never experienced any electrical problems.

Reply to
Phil Robyn

Bogus computer errors can be caused by power supply problems (battery and or alternator). Also the 1999 S80 is known for this type of problem, it has quite a poor reputation. Some are OK, but I'd suggest staying away from this one.

Reply to
Mike F

From my limited personal experience with this one and all I am finding out online and from calling Volvo and the dealership, I can not recommend this car.

Reply to
JimRadinDenver

This time around (after calling Vovlo Customer Care and supplying numerous internet threads with the same issue). Volvo sent their regional master field techician out to the dealership and he found loose wiring in the dash that is believed to be the cause. No charge to repair. Hopefully it is fixed. I still question whether I ever had an ABS or Thottle body issue.

Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
JimRadinDenver

I bet your ABS module didn't even need to be replaced. I would consider using another Volvo dealer. I've had the "Brake failure Stop ASAP" message come on a couple of times, once after going through snow/slush and once after going on a very wet, muddy road. I think the wheel sensors get momentarily fouled. Both times the message disappeared on it's own by the next time I drove the car. I know it can be a little disconcerting when your car is telling you there is something wrong but I remember the days when cars didn't have these early warning capabilities and I don't remember anything bad coming of it. For this reason I just ignore the false error messages as long as the car seems to be driving/braking normally. It works for me.

Reply to
Spanky