2006 S60 T5 sluggish acceleration and coolant temperture very low

Hi all,

On my way home from shopping today, I noticed my S60 was very sluggish when accelerating. It felt like it lost half it's torque when accelerating. I had to rev the engine to much higher rpm before shifting to a higher gear. I then noticed that my coolant temperature gage has not moved after almost

15 minutes of drivng the car in 31 degree Celcius temperaure weather. The temp gage is kind of stuck in the "low" end where it's usually in the middle range. When idling, there's is a loud whirring sound coming from the engine. I think it's the cooling fan stuck on "high"? When I reached home, I turned off the engine - waited 10 minutes and then took it out for another test drive. The same thing happened, no power accelerating, constant loud whirring sound from the engine, and the temp gage stuck on "cold".

Would really appreciate your comments on what you think the problem might be. I've only had this car for about 9 months - had no problems until now. I called the dealership but they could not shed any light and just told me to take the car in.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kingston

I would suspect the thermostat stuck open which is not allowing the car to fully warm up. This will affect performance and fuel economy. I would take it in and get it looked at pronto as this could affect the O2 sensors. Everything should still be under warranty.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Mark K> Hi all,

Reply to
Jabber

Thanks Jabber. That makes me feel better knowing it's something relatively minor. I was hesitant to drive it even to the dealership.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Kingston

Check the coolant level in the overflow tank and radiator, if there is little coolant it will not register on the temp gauge. Do this when the engine is cool and before you drive it again.

Allen

Reply to
Allen