2007 S60: Dirty Front Wheels

I bought a 2007 S60 2.5T demo with about 6,000 miles on it last November. It now has about 13,000 miles. I love the car but it has one peculiarity that I find puzzling.

The wheels are the alloy type with five segments and double spokes between. The front wheels get a gritty black coating and the back wheels don't. This black film washes off easily but I can't come up with a good reason why the front wheels get dirty so soon after washing. Since the engine is up front, it may be something from the engine; turbo blow-by, a rubber belt atomizing, engine coolant reacting with cosmic rays, whatever. Or it may be that the front tires stir up the road dirt and it's blown away by the time the rear tires get there.

Not a real problem, just a puzzlement.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314
~^ beancounter ~^

You're joking - aren't you?? Seriously, just stirring for a reaction?

Reply to
John Smith

I use a pressure washer (1300 psi) to clean the wheels. It makes life about ten times easier. Also use it to make the car wet and rinse after hand wash with Meguiar car detergent.

If using a pressure washer, make sure you use a low psi, like 1300. Otherwise, you could be removing the paint from your car.

P.S. Never use a chamois to dry it up. You'll only be dragging tiny particles over the paint and scratch it. I use old bath cloth.

Reply to
Someone
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I would return the car! :-)

Reply to
Arnoud Helmantel

I wonder if the obvious has truly gone by him or maybe he's just trolling? Just in case he really doesn't know, the wheels get dirty from material worn off the brake pads. The front brakes do approximately 80% of the braking effort so the pads wear much more quickly.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have cut my hand with the jet from a pressure washer. It is very slow to heal.

blurp

Reply to
blurp
Reply to