2007 S60 Grinding Steering Noise

I had to replace the struts on my 2007 S60 last year. There has been no pro blem until recently when I noticed an occasional grinding noise from the le ft front wheel area when turning at low speed. It got progressively worse o ver the next week and a half. It was even noticeable when turning the wheel s with the engine running while standing still.

I took it into the shop today, not a Volvo dealer but a local mechanic who works on all my cars. Of course, the noise was practically non-existent thi s morning. I just talked to him and he said that everything looks good unde rneath although he did hear some slight noises while turning. He's keeping it another day to see if he can figure anything out.

The car has 85,000 miles. It's an automatic 2.5T. Any ideas on what the pro blem could be?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel Svinchnik

problem until recently when I noticed an occasional grinding noise from the left front wheel area when turning at low speed. It got progressively worse over the next week and a half. It was even noticeable when turning the wheels with the engine running while standing still.

works on all my cars. Of course, the noise was practically non-existent this morning. I just talked to him and he said that everything looks good underneath although he did hear some slight noises while turning. He's keeping it another day to see if he can figure anything out.

problem could be?

My 1999 V70 had some lock stops which slid up and down on nylon pads with suspension movement. Sometimes that made creaking noises when moving slowly on full lock. That was always cured by greasing the nylon pads.

I don't know whether the S60 uses the same system?

Reply to
Roger Mills

problem until recently when I noticed an occasional grinding noise from th e left front wheel area when turning at low speed. It got progressively wor se over the next week and a half. It was even noticeable when turning the w heels with the engine running while standing still.

who works on all my cars. Of course, the noise was practically non-existent this morning. I just talked to him and he said that everything looks good underneath although he did hear some slight noises while turning. He's keep ing it another day to see if he can figure anything out.

problem could be?

He traced the noise to a plastic panel in the wheel well which was held tog ether with plastic push-fasteners. He greased it up where it meets other pa nels and that seems to have solved the problem. We'll see. If it comes back , he'll pull the strut and grease all of the contact points where it might be rubbing.

Reply to
Pavel Svinchnik