240 auto transmission

I hae a '92 240 auto. It has a serious problem that I think is the transmission. When I was driving it suddenly lost any power as if it had slipped out of gear. The engine continued as normal but we were not going anywhere. I managed to park and after resting for a while it engaged gear again and I was able to limp home by stopping/resting/starting. There was no warning that this was going to happen but in hindsight it may have been more sluggish than usual in the days before it happened. I have not driven it more than a few feet since then but have started it and am able to move it back and forward in gear. I am assuming htis is expensive problem and need to get the money together before I take it in for repairs. Can anyone shed any light on what it might be that has brought this on? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Jim

See if there is any fluid in it. Check the condition, if it smalls like old military sole edge dressing then it may be finished, but flush it and see what happens. If it is low then find out where the leak is, probably the cooling line(s) have rubed through at the bell housing bracket or the tailshaft bushing and seal are worn out and leaking.

Bob

Reply to
User