240 DL hard to start; vacuum problem?

My 1980 240 DL is very difficult to start (needs a lot of cranking, pumping, multiple attempts of cranking), but runs ok ones it is started. The problem has gradually gotten worse over the last few months.

My shop tells me that the problem is big vacuum leaks:

- the intake manifold gasket is leaking and

- there are leaks around the injectors.

- also, crank case devise hose PCV (Positive Crank Case Ventilation) is partially collapsed.

They say that the problem is that where it is leaking, that error is not metered through the fuel injection system.

Their cost estimate to fix this is $600 ($500 for fixing the leaks and adjust the fuel injectons, plus $100 for miscellaneous related work).

Does that all sound sensible and reasonable to you?

P.S.: I had the same problem about a year ago and another mechanic fixed it in 15 minutes by "reattaching (or fixing) a vacuum hose" - I don't remember the details. Just wondering whether it could be the same thing, but don't know what hose the previous guy fixed. Any ideas? Thanks for any information and advice.

Wolfgang, Santa Barbara, CA

Reply to
mot12345