70 series power sterring stiff

Hi All, Often my s70 has stiff power steering. I have noticed there is a noise, coming from as best I can tell, the power steering pump when I listen to the engine with the hood up.

Can anyone offer suggestions to help trouble shoot this. I have concluded that a replacement pump is a pricey item new (around $500US) and I would like to replace it in myself, if I can get a warmer fuzzy feeling that it is in fact the problem. I want to be sure it is the pump, don't want to swap out the pump and then find out the pump was not the problem.

I know noise is not normal, so I have a strong suspicion the pump is the problem.

What can the noise be from: bearings?, pump mechanism? Is this pump like an oil pump in an engine, gear style?

Are there seals that could have gone bad?

How to trouble shoot this is my question?

Anyone know of any High quality rebuilt power steering pumps?

Thanks for any info anyone can supply.

Reply to
jr

Try adjusting the power steering pump drive belt first. You may find that it needs replacing and it would be a good idea to replace all the auxiliary drive belts at the same time.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thanks for suggestion, However this model has a single serpentine belt to drive the accessories. Were you suggesting the the tensioner might not be doing it's job or perhaps forgot about the single belt design?

By the way what size square tool is used to deal with the tensioner.

Fluid level in pump is OK, and serpentine belt is approx

60K miles old.

Still seeking info.

Peter K L Milnes wrote:

Reply to
jr

Are you sure the level is OK? If the level drops, then the pump beats some air into the fluid, raising the apparent level. The fluid with air causes the pump to be noisy. If the fluid is frothy, add some more, the air will go out of it in a few days. The 1999 and newer ZF pump leaks often at the front seal, and there's no seal available from Volvo - just buy a new pump, sir. Otherwise, if the pump is noisy, then there's only one solution - a new pump.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike!, I will eagerly check the fluid level again. I do not recall seeing any froth or entrained air but will be extra observant now that I have been given a tip to look for this. Is there any particular negative effect of having a tad more fluid than it should, you know in case I over pour a bit?

This is an early "98" model and was picked up on mid 1997, fairly close to as soon as they were available. Any particular comments on pumps of that era? I have not noticed any fluid leaks so far.

Appreciate the tips from all.

Reply to
jr

The pump used on '98s seems to be better. This is the same pump used on

850s as well, and has a good reliability record.
Reply to
Mike F

"jr" skrev i en meddelelse news:PILUd.34282$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Hi jr Before replacing the pump tak a look at the steering column intermediate shaft, the small universel joint can cause stiff steering. Per

Reply to
Per Rasmussen

Is it a whining noise? Is the noise worst at full lock (i.e. with the steering wheel turned fully one way or the other) and/or at very low speed (e.g. when parking or other slow speed manouvres)? If so, it's likely that the fluid level is low. If it is the pump itself, you'll hear the noise all the time.

I made a special tool in the machine shop at work to do the auxiliary drive belt. The square section needs to be 17 to 17,5 mm across flats in both directions (hole in the tensioner is 18mm A/F). It is possible to do the job yourself with a bit of grunting and straining, but if you can get someone else to hold the tensioner out of the way whilst you lever the belt over the pulley's it's a lot easier.

Reply to
John Ellison

Per, Thanks for your suggestion. I expect the small universal joint is in the engine compartment, rather close to the ground perhaps? I have not crawlled around under the car lately considering all the snow we have right now. JR

Reply to
jr

Since I am not the regular driver of this car, I can not comment on as many details as I would like to be able to. I have found that the noise is fairly constant as best I can tell. Seems to not matter if it is at full lock.

The good news is that I closely examined the fluid level and added about

3/4 of one ounce and drove it a bit making many very slow speed turns going from one extreme left to extreme right, empty parking lot kind of stuff. It is much better. There is still some stiffness, but it is much less. Will further check it after it is fully warmed up and see if the level is in the happy range when warm.

Thanks for the size on the tool for the tensioner. I wonder if some bar stock (11/16" sounds like it could work) clamped in a large vise grip would work? How long a lever arm did you decide to use on your custom tool? Any comment on the flat of the square stock to the to the angle of the lever arm? Thanks JR

Reply to
jr

Also, Do you lubricate this small universal joint? If you have, what did you use for a lubricant? Perhaps you are suggesting replacement? I look forward to your reply. JR

Reply to
jr