Hissing noise with power steering

I have a recently acquired Peugeot 405 estate with power steering. When parking up I hear a hissing noise after I move the steering wheel.The noise seems to emanate from the steering wheel itself.

Is this normal?

Reply to
me

Moray Cuthill

Yup - it's the pressure relief valve. Only happens when the steering is heavily loaded like with the wheel at full lock. If it happens when just moving the wheel with the car stopped, I'd check the tyre pressures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's reassuring

Thanks for the swift replies.