740 day running lights

Well designed headlights project light on the road, not into the eyes of oncoming drivers. DRLs project light at oncoming drivers and not down on the road, and in being made for that they can use substantially lower wattage lamps and still achieve higher brightness to the viewer.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I can only assume we've never seen a single car on the roads of the UK with DRLs, then.

And long may that continue, if they've been stupid enough to design lights specifically AIMED at the drivers of oncoming vehicles.

Reply to
Adrian

On 19/10/05 3:07 AM, in reference to Xns96F3B8536E33Cadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, going by the name of "Adrian" wrote the following:

No, that's what DRLs are for, being seen. Headlights are for seeing.

HTH

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

On 19/10/05 3:29 AM, in reference to snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk, going by the name of "Guy King" wrote the following:

I have no argument or concern when visibility is *that* low. Yes, it will help you to be seen.

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

But they aren't. You have to use them by law in certain circumstances whether you need them for seeing or not. Mostly you could see perfectly well on side lights or no lights in well lit streets at night, but you'd be a tosser and get done for being one.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

Not in the UK.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

On 19/10/05 11:36 PM, in reference to snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, going by the name of "Paul Rooney" wrote the following:

Really? Apart from the *low* visibility law that was pointed out already. There are much _better_ lights/lamps for that purpose too.

Do you still have electric milk carts, or are they long gone?

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

Hamish Alker-Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@ihug.com.au) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I fail to understand how a light designed to cast as much light as possible onto the road whilst strictly adjusted to stay just away from dazzling oncoming road users can possibly be bettered - unless by one aimed straight at the eyes of approaching drivers. Which would be silly.

Unfortunately, they've mainly been replaced with supermarkets.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

The message from Hamish Alker-Jones contains these words:

Ah, well, I only posted one rule from the Highway Code. For those of use who can be arsed to read more of it...

Rule 95: You should also

  • use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
Reply to
Guy King

But that's the whole point, they're low wattage lamps just like the turn indicators, those too are aimed at oncoming traffic for precisely the same reason, to be visible in all lighting conditions. Of course I use the term "aimed" loosely, the optics don't produce a beam like a headlamp.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly.

You're trying to persuade me that an unfocussed 21w bulb is "more visible" than a 50w bulb focussed into a tightly defined beam?

Big fat hairy sweaty bollocks.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Depends where you're standing, innit.

Reply to
Guy King

On 20/10/05 5:05 PM, in reference to Xns96F5526366CAadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, going by the name of "Adrian" wrote the following:

Yes, you are right, it is load of bollocks.

Can we discuss the frequency of the light now to prove the point?

Cheers

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Hamish Alker-Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@ihug.com.au) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Thank you.

Oh, this IS going to be entertaining.

Reply to
Adrian

On 20/10/05 6:44 PM, in reference to Xns96F56329D9C48adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, going by the name of "Adrian" wrote the following:

Yes, no doubt you got the TIC comment....

I look forward to hearing how frequency isn't a factor in visibility.

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

But that 50W focused beam is pointed down at the road is it not? I dunno what the arrangement is on all cars in all markets but on my car the DRLs are far brighter from above the cutoff on the 90W low beam headlamps, but the headlamps are obviously far better at lighting the road.

Reply to
James Sweet