740 GL: torque for damper pulley bolt?

Re: 87 Volvo 740 GL. Has the B230F 8-valve engine. I need to know what the correct torque value is for the crankshaft (or damper) pulley bolt. Thanks!

Reply to
geronimo

According to the Bentley 240 manual, page 215-5, for the B230 motor, tighten to 60Nm (44 ft.lbs) then an additional "1/6-turn (90 degrees)" Huh...?

1/6 of a turn = 60 degrees [360/6] 1/4 of a turn = 90 degrees [360/4]

Maybe someone can explain or clarify.. it would not be the first mistake I have found in Bentley.

I have asked by E-Mail the tech folks at Bentley to clarify this.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I had this issue with an Alfa Rameo Gullia super ,the book mixed up the left and right so that the valves were out 180 degrees .Destra and sinestra ,right and left were changed to left and right .By the way sinestra is where we get sinister from meaning a left handed person ,as the church taught all left handers were evil .I remember as a kid children being given hell for using their left hand .My wife went through it but resisted .In fact a few kids ended up with speech impediments from being forced to write with their right hand .Thats besides the peer group pressure .

Reply to
John Robertson

The other one I found (and had informed them of months ago) is in he Ignition System section, on page 280-3, bottom right column. It "shows" the OBD code for 1-4-1 [*---****---*], but the text describes it as "1-4-2." You know, and I know, but that other guy is going to go nuts trying to figure that one out.

"John Roberts>

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Haynes to the rescue! (Really!)

The spec there is given as the same, but the second stage is listed as an additional 60 degrees.

"... three out of four high-school students - nearly half - leave school without an adequate understanding of mathematics." - Dave Barry

Reply to
Michael Pardee

WOW! That's one in a row for Haynes, eh? ;-) Actually, the Haynes makes a very nice back-up for the Bentley.

...could be worse... could be Chilton! Ughhhh :-( The Chilton for the 960 is just a bit this side of being best used as a table-leveling device...

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

It actually comes out somewhere near to 280lbsft which is an enormous torque and why a crankshaft holding tool is required to undo the thing. OK, there are tricks to fool it into loosening up.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Which could explain why Geronimo had a few keys sheared off- Not enough torque allows the pully to slip on the crank, and Bob's your uncle! Hopefull he's your woodruff key supplier as well!

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

According to Volvo: Crankshaft, centre bolt: stage 1, 60Nm (44ft.lb), stage 2, angle tighten

60*.
Reply to
User
280 ft/lbs? Egads, and here I was thinking at first that I had a problem with the camshaft, But yea, I have'ntt been torqueing that crank bolt down anywhere near that much! All I can do is lock the flywheel with a a broom handle or something like that, have nothing special to hold the crank pulley. Thanks all. Geronimo
Reply to
geronimo

I've had a helper jam the flywheel with a screwdriver, and (before I got air tools) used a floor jack under the socket handle to loosen and tighten the bolt. It makes me worry about the engine mounts when the front wheels start to lift off the ground, but so far so good :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

eBay 8025433190

"This is a Brand-NEW Counterhold tool that is used to hold the crankshaft pulley on Volvo B230 motors. Used when changing timing belts and crankpulley. This item is equivalent to Volvo Part Number

9995284. Often referred to in shop manuals as Volvo Tool 5284."

$40 and free shipping. [no affiliation] __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

That's the approximate torque for the D24 diesel motor. That much torque on a gas engine will likely snap the end off the crankshaft.

D24: crankshaft with damper pulley: center bolt 350 Nm (258 ft.lb) socket head bolts: 20 Nm (15 ft.lb)

Bob

Reply to
User

Then it would surely snap the end of the crankshaft of a diesel motor as well. Crankshaft is made to same toughness standards as for petrol. However you spotted my deliberate mistake well, as I did unthinkingly quote for my diesel engine.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Not really. The thread engagement length is different as well as the bolt pitch. The VW crankshaft is made by Shrick, I believe, with a much different high density metallurgy than the standard nodular iron crank shaft on the Volvo 4 cyl.

Bob

Reply to
User

Another good reason to go the diesel route, even for those of you who think that diesels suck!!

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Randy G. wrote: >

purchased one of these tools long ago and though used only a couple of times it is worth it ! Does the job well.

Reply to
jr