Need 740 B230F engine parts

I need some timing belt- associated parts for a 89 Volvo 740 GL. It has the non-turbo B230F engine. The most urgent thing is a new crankshaft sprocket (for the timing belt). That's the sprocket behind the crankshaft pulley. Need a complete one, with front and rear guides, and also the crankshaft key underneath. It has a half-moon shape. Have already obtained a new crankshaft pully/vibration damper. The sprocket parts and key will get it going again, but I also need a camshaft sprocket cover& bolt, both upper and lower timing belt covers, and a idler (timing belt) tensioner. I checked the local junkyards, they don't have any Volvo 740s, and the network didn't locate any of these motors designated "for parts only". Thanks.

Reply to
Geronimo

Try the yards for 940 parts for the same engine.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

You can get the parts you need off a '85 or later 240 as well, they're a bit more common.

Reply to
James Sweet

Commonly available at U Pull It Damascus in PDX.

Reply to
zencraps

The car suffered a crankshaft pulley failure months ago, Got it going again with a new crankshaft pullley. When I took that off and checked the crankshaft sprocket, I found that there was a little fragment of what was a key in the crankshaft keyway. Well, there is a square projection on the front of the sproket which engages the corresponding keyway /slot on the crank pully. On the back side of the crankshaft sprocket there is a corresponding dimple and some little thing, maybe a "bump" projection was there, that has broken off. But I don't see any slot running axially on the ID of the sprocket which the crankshaft key would engage! Doesn't make sense. I don't see how the crankshaft key was positively set/anchored to the camshaft pulley and sprocket, there would just be the tension of the pully bolt. But I figure getting a new sprocket and key should solve the mystery and fix it. The Haynes illustration isn't clear or detailed enough on this. Thanks!

Reply to
Geronimo

The crank sprocket has a block (key) molded to the front half of the sprocket inside of the bore. The tang on the front of the sprocket engages the damper pulley when installed.

Bob

The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.

Reply to
User

Thanks...yea, now I understand. I looked closer at the inner bore of the sprocket, and there WAS a molded-in rectangular key on the inner bore of the sprocket that has broken off....there never was a separate key. Now...good luck ever finding a new crankshaft sprocket! I have come up completely empty-handed trying to find B230 engine parts in the local yards. Of course they have complete used engines they are willing to sell me!

Reply to
Geronimo

take a look at this:

you could try the same Regards

Per Hauge

"Ger>

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

That trick works for the key on the *front* side of the sprocket that engages the crank pulley, but it wouldn't work for the other key--- the one that is broken on my sprocket---the one on the inner bore of the sprocket which engages the crankshaft. That is a site with lots of good info----thanks, I bookmarked it.

Reply to
Geronimo

I know someone who's parting out a B230, email me with your email address and I'll put you in touch.

Reply to
James Sweet

The part number is 1336927. Dealer list $46.26

Groton Volvo $35.00

User

What about checking your local Volvo car club ?

Reply to
John Robertson

Yes I could part out the engine from a 1987 240 B230F (I believe) I want the upper part ( cylinder with camshaft but probably don't require to keep the bottom end - it works and is running now with about 190,000 klms on her (parting out due to subframe rot not any other reason) also good running transmission (sorry it's a P R N D 1 2) a lot of you enthusiasts enjoy the manuals eh! but even had a recent flush fill of transmission fluid for those of you who don't like shifting gears yourselves. The car is in my complex in Mississsuga Ontario Canada - I have to work outside for the most part so think about it quickly as I will not be hauling these things out in subzero temps outside

thanks,

Dan

Reply to
dan