xc70/2006 - fuel economy question

Hi there, I just bought new xc70 2.5T wit automatic transmission. I love this car and there is nothing I'd like to change. My only concern is fuel economy.

Our dealer gave us the following numbers for automatic transmission: City 12.3 L / 100 km (19 miles / US gallon) Highway 8.4 L / 100 km (28 miles / US gallon)

These numbers are also published on

Consumer reviews adjust those numbers slightly, around 5 to 10%, depends which model and who is driving.

I turned on the on-board computer which shows average fuel consumption. So far it looks like my XC70 uses respectively

City: about 16L / 100 km (14.8 miles / US gallon) Highway about 12L / 100 km (19.6 miles / US gallon)

These numbers are roughly 30% - 35% worse than the specification and the dealer say. Initially I thought the computer is wrong, but watching the fuel gauge confirms computer's readings.

I am not very familiar with car technologies but 16L/100 km in the city just does not sound right for a car like xc70. I do not believe Volovo's specifications are not saying truth. So my thinking is that something is wrong with my car. Another possibility is that the car is very new and the fuel consumption is going to drop at some point later.

Could anyone comment this ? I will appreciate any piece of advice or hint on this subject. Perhaps there are other XC70 users around who can share their experiecne.

Thank you very much. Marek.

Reply to
Marek

There are many reasons why you are not attaining the published MPG figures, but initally check the tyres are pumped up to the recommended presures, and secondly get some miles on the clock and the engine bedded-in! The worst thing you can do during this time is drive it too slowly / gently.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

DOT fuel usage ratings are based on old assumptions.

All car manufactures knowingly use these old, out-dated numbers.

You should always expect 20-35% less mileage than they claim.

Reply to
Bryce

My XC70 is now a year and a half old. When it was new , it was doing about

10.2 L/ 100km in country (highway) driving, and around 12.5 L/ 100km in the city. I've now done around 50,000km, and both figures are about 2 litres / 100km better. The Volvo figures aren't realistic, but they give you an idea of fuel economy relative to other makes / models, as they all test their economy the same way. If you want better economy, use 98 RON octane rating, and drive sensibly.
Reply to
Raymondo