740 Heater Low temp air

1990 740 Turbo. Good fluid antifreeze/water mix level in the radiator "tank" . The temp sensor is about 11:00 (close to cold) compared with the 12:30 (just over half WA) it normally is and the air temp from all the vents is lower than it was a few weeks ago. We have a cold spell here in WA, it's been in to 20 most nights. Maybe the thermostat is stuck OPEN?
Reply to
Dave A.

It sounds to me like a perfect thermostat failure. If your interior heat had been normal, one could have suspected the temp guage or sensor. In your case, replace the thermostat.

It is a very easy job to replace it. Max 1 hour if you drain some of the coolant and refill. 10 minutes if you let coolant spill and replace. Not so environmentally sound though.

After replacing, keep an eye on coolant level for the first days, it often takes a while to get all air out, and the level goes down a bit.

Good luck!

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman