96 1.0L Heater not working

Suggestions welcome....

2 weeks ago my timing belt broke. My mechanic suggested that I have the water pump replaced since they would be in that area. I agreed and when I got the car back the heat was not getting as hot. I noticed that there was coolant leaking and took it back in. My mechanic told me that there was a small leak in the radiator where plastic met metal and it could not be fix...it needed to be replaced. I knew about this and asked why it started leaking more after the new water pump was installed. He said the new pump probably produced more pressure and that caused the leak to leak more. Ok, I agree to this and tell them to replace the thermostat as well. I get the car back and still poor heat. The poor heat was a problem after the water pump was replaced and continued to be after the radiator and thermostat were replaced.

What could have changed after only replacing the water pump that would have caused the heat to be poor...it worked fine before getting a new ater pump?

Note: The heater core was replace in this vehicle a little over a year ago.

I don;t necessarily want to take it back to this guy again because this thing just seems to be cascading. What I'm trying to understand is why the heat went bad after the water pump was replaced.

Reply to
thedonzo

EDIT: Title should read 1.9L, not 1.0L

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Reply to
thedonzo

Many things could have caused the radiator to leak. I assume new anti freeze coolant was put in and maybe flushed. This might have caused a marginal spot to start leaking. And if the hoses were flexed on the radiator when the pump was changed, this might have been enough to cause a leak. If its only a tank leak, the radiator can be re gasketed and recrimped possibly. But with

100K + miles i might be looking at new radiator rather than throwing some money at it only to replace it latter. Check with some local radiator shops for quotes. Ask them about your heater problems too. Find a few shops in your area and take your car by and ask for an estimate and there opinion.

Are either of your heater hoses under the hood hot when the car is warm and the heater is on? Could be something plugged up the core. Or it could be an internal under dash problem unrelated like a stuck blend door or such. Does the temp gauge of the car showing its getting warm?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Both of the hoses leading to the heater core are hot.

The temp gauge shows that the engine is getting warm but the needle never gets any higher that just above the lower limit.

I checked the blend door and it is opening/closing as it should be.

BOB URZ wrote:

Reply to
thedonzo

How hot did the car run on the temp gauge before all this happened? Is the radiator fan running?

Perhaps the new thermostat is stuck open, in backward somehow or the wrong temp value. Or the cooling fan is stuck on.

If your in cooler weather, you might block off some of the radiator areas with cardboard or such and see if it runs any hotter for a short test.

I used to have a old 65 fairlane that i FROZE in when it was cold out.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

We don't even know what car you're driving. Not psychic!

Reply to
David R

magic 8 ball says escort

Reply to
petebert

Sorry about omitting the vehicle type.... It's a 96 Escort Wagon with a 1.9L engine.

I know for a fact that the temp gauge registered higher before the water pump was replaced and the heat was considerable warmer than it is now.

What confuses me the most is why this would happen after ONLY the water pump was replaced. The radiator and thermostat were replaced a couple of days later when the radiator starting leaking. I would understand the thermostat being stuck open or something had they initially replaced it. This make me paranoid about the guy I'm bringing it to. I'm afraid if I bring it bacdk again he'll tell me I need a new heater core.

Replacing the water pump was his suggestion due to the fact that he's be in the area of the water pump when replacing the timing belt. If it went out in a month he'd have to charge me the same labor as he would now by replacing both the pump and the timing belt (there was close to

100K > magic 8 ball says escort
Reply to
thedonzo

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1164134328.840132.33760 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I am guessing that you have a air bubble in your heater core caused when the water pump was replaced. bleed the core and see if your heat comes back. don`t worry about the gauge reading as your probley got plenty of heat it just isn`t in the core. both hoses can be hot even if there is a air lock in the core. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff