740 wagon transmission concern

My Volvo 740 wagon has been shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears at a much higher RPM (about 4500 to 5000) lately, though not all the time. As it revs higher and higher, I can almost use the gas like a clutch and relase it quickly to get the engine to go into the next gear. However, I shouldn't have to do this.

Also, there are times when I remove my foot from the gas pedal as I approach an intersection and I can sometimes feel the car grabbing once or twice before it downshifts.

Any idea if the transmission is going? What can I do to rule out other possibilities before taking it to a mechanic who sees big dollar signs every time he ehars the word transmission?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Mark

Reply to
MarkG

on my 240, which I suppose is similar to your 740, there's a cable that I understand controls the upshifting of the transmission. It runs over a large metal pulley just above the throtle plate of the intake manifold, where the large black air intake hose connects. When I clean the throttle body, I usually have to reseat the cable in the groove of the pulley. Perhaps yours has jumped out of that groove and no longer signals the transmission properly, or the cable may be binding in the sheath.

Another thought... have you checked the transmission fluid lately? You might be low. Or perhaps just changing the fluid would solve some of the problems... Not difficult or expensive if you do it yourself.....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Sounds like your kickdown cable is binding, if that's not it, try a fluid flush, but the cable is my first suspect. It attaches to the throttle spool.

Reply to
James Sweet

I tried the spray on the kickdown cable but that hasn't changed anything. It seemed to be moving okay anyway.

I'm taking it in for an oil change and will have them check the transmission level too. I took the tran. dipstick out yesterday and the fluid was dark brown.

Mark

Reply to
MarkG