745 exploding radiator syndrome

Hi there!

I'm not so good with Volvo's so i decided to seek advice here.

Car: Volvo 745 GL -88 255kmiles

Symptom: My girlfriend drove it until it started cutting out and steaming. Hole in the radiator. I changed radiator and waterpump. Filled with coolant and took a short drive. Radiator exploded again! !!@@$##!!

I don't thing it's head gasket as expansion tank isn't bubbling (except first time i started it after i refilled it) and oil isn't watered down. It seems like there is overpressure in coolant system than cracks the radiator. What can be the potential cause of this?

My next step is to change thermostat and radiator, refill and warm up the engine without puting on the cap on expansion tank. If it starts bubbling or smoking then i know it's head gasket that went after she overheated it. If not, then something was blocking the passage and cracked the radiator.

Anyone?

Cheers! Goran from Sweden

Reply to
Archibald

Have a leakdown test done, I would bet the cylinder head is warped and is allowing combustion gasses into the coolant at higher engine load.

Reply to
James Sweet

This doesn't sound Volvo specific.

A radiator cap that isn't venting under pressure like it should, or a clogged overflow line--although I'd expect the line to blow off before the radiator should burst.

A thermostat stuck closed would cause the engine to overheat while the radiator remains relatively cool. Your problem is that expansion due to temperature increase has nowhere to go. The problem is in the overflow system; the cap, hose, or something, perhaps where the overflow hose is attached to the radiator...

If you had a cracked head, blown gasket, etc., and the pressure relief components were working, you'd see the combustion/exhaust gas bubbling out through the overflow tank, cap or no cap.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Reply to