760 V6 sedan (1988) fuel tank leak - How do I fix this?

I have a leak at the plastic ring on the top of the fuel tank, where the fuel pipes and fuel sending unit are connected. This ring is probably the only thing holding the fuel tank lid in place. The rate of leakage is about one drop in ~5 seconds when the car is on an upward incline with a full enough tank and none otherwise. The diameter of this plastic thingy is about 6" (15cm.) making it impossible to remove with an oil filter strap wrench and my hands are certainly not strong enough. Even the fuel sending unit connections looks hard to remove. There seems to be no connector, only three wires going into a plastic button that is nearly flush with the lid. My question is what do I expect to see once I have managed to remove this stubborn lid (a rubber gasket of some type may be?) and how to fix the damned thing. Is a leak at this location dangerous? or can I make do with simply not filling the tank? Is this tank set up interchangeable with a same age sedan 740?

Reply to
Duong Nguyen

There is a special tool available to undo the retainer or you can make one fairly easily. Once you have the retainer off then it is a simple matter to replace the gasket and your leak will be gone.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

There was a recall on these cars just for that reason. See if your car qualifies. The recall involved making sure that "nut" was torqued properly and installing a large hose clamp around it to lock it in place. There's just a rubber seal between the sender and tank that would need to be replaced if the recall doesn't apply. If you follow those wires you can see a connector about 2 feet away.

740 (and 760 wagon) tanks of that vintage are smaller and not interchangeable.

Any fuel leak is potentially dangerous.

If you do tackle this job yourself, do it with the tank down around 1/4 full.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for answering my question. I really do want to fix this one properly. Do you have any more info on this recall or how to get more info on this recall. The only relevant info I could find so far is this "TSB

38112 OCT 92 Tank Sending Unit - Replacement For Tanks W/Metal Flange." Is this what you referred to in your message?

What is the reason the tank should be down around 1/4 full? My thought is that the level only need to be below that of the plastic ring. Is this the 1/4 full level?

Reply to
Duong Nguyen

No, your tank won't have a metal ring. You'll have to see a dealer regarding the recall. All that's really necessary is to have the tank below the level of the bottom of the ring, but lower is better. Then there's less fuel dripping from the sender when it's pulled out.

Reply to
Mike F