1994 850 ABS Faults 141 & 142

Hi,

I've recently started getting codes 141 and 142 following illumination of the ABS warning light... I think these refer to electrical shorts, but I don't know where (physically) to start looking. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Pendrey

141 Faulty pedal sensor 142 Faulty brake lamp switch, open or short circuit.

The brake light switch has 2 separate switches built into it - one for the lights, one to tell the ABS the brakes are on.

Reply to
Mike F

It seems that many times the ABS controller itself goes bad and then gives out erroneous error messages. Supposedly internal traces on the ABS controller board stress crack.

Unfortunately the controller is almost $500 for your friendly Volvo dealer.

Make sure to check any sensors carefully before replacing them. You could replace an indicated bad sensor and not really fix the problem whilst throwing away money on something which wasn't broken.

John

Reply to
John Horner