'84 240 Ti Part IV

Finally got the oil pressure gauge working; ancient engine holds good strong pressure over towards "5" on the 5 bar gauge.

Now I am turning to suspension issues.

Something in the back on the passenger side is making a "popping" or loose type noise.

Shop said it was the trailer arm which they torqued and said to return at no charge if needbe.

Well, it's still making the noise although much better.

The noise happens when I am driving along normally and hit rough pavement. Sounds like something back there is loose.

What's back there to make such noises?

Could everything be "torqued" but a bushing of some type be worn?

I installed a set of Bilsteins, car still feels "mushy" to me.

Could these two "phenemonon" be related?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Allan Ballard

84 240 Ti 215K 89 240 196K (daily driver)
Reply to
Greenthumb

There's a big bushing directly below the axle in the trailing arm. It's often chewed up, and any uncontrolled motion there could be the cause of your handling problems.

Reply to
Mike F

Try tighting the upper shock bolts. Remover the rear tyre and look for a plastic plug anout 1 in. in diameter. Pull it off and it is a 17 mm head on the bolt.

Reply to
Rod Gray

I've seen this with a bad trailing arm bushing, torque rod bushing, and a loose nut at the bottom of the rear spring, there's not much else back there.

Reply to
James Sweet