92 Accord A/C problem

Made the mistake of not doing the work myself. Took my 92 Accord EX to have A/C looked at. The A/C was working in January, during the regular runs to keep the compressor oiled. Then the A/C stopped. At the same time I had the timing belt changed so I thought a connection might have gotten knocked loose. I did not spend much time looking as the days were still cool. Now the days are NOT (Arizona). I noted there was no pressure in the system and suspected a leak. I took the car to a local shop and asked them to see if the system would hold a vacuum. They said they pulled it down twice and it held for 45 minutes. Figuring the system was intact and puzzled by the lose of pressure, I had them convert to R-134a. When I picked the car up, I was told the conversion failed and was shown that the A/C would not put out cold air. Their diagnosis was a bad compressor. Being the disbelieving person I am I went to the parts store, bought a r-134 charging system with a gauge and a 12 oz. can of r-134 with stop leak, leak detection dye and 2 oz. oil charge. I also got two additional 12 oz cans that were the r-134 and 2 oz oil but not the stop leak and dye. I charged the system first with the stop leak can and started the A/C system. I immediately started getting cold air output. I added the second can and looked under the car. There was a puddle of reddish oil and a fairly steady drip coming from the compressor area. The oil had a reddish ting which I attributed to the lead trace dye (non-UV type.) The drip tapered of to almost nothing. Peering around the alternator, I could see oil on the top of the compressor but not where it was coming from. The system was at first losing pressure and I could hear a hissing. this slowed then became inaudible. I figured the stop leak was doing it's job. The pressure loss slow down dramatically but there was still some. I bought the Interdynamics Maxi Seal two can stop leak kit, added the Metal Fix then the Seal Fix cans. The pressure seemed to be holding. So I topped the system off with two more cans containing r-134 and 2 oz of oil. This all happened over the course of the weekend. Monday I drive the car to work and notice the A/C compressor is making a very obvious whirring noise ( about like the sound of the engine when revved over 4K.) At idle I opened the hood and listened to the compressor and there is a noticeable sound of each compression stroke. Thinking there may be not enough oil (easier to check then too much) I added one 2 oz oil charge can. Seemed to make no change in the sound.

The question at the end of all this is: Is the compressor bad, too much oil or too little? I would like to avoid the cost of replacing the compressor, but will if that is what it takes.

Reply to
AKinAZ

Taking all that together, I'm sure you will have to replace the compressor soon. IIRC those things in the early 90s Hondas are expensive, so a lot of shopping around would be worth it. You should start searching now, although you can wait for a more convenient time to do the replacement - what can it hurt?

The last time I replaced a compressor, it was on our '84 Dodge 600ES (LeBaron). $300 for the compressor without clutch or magnet, and it was on July 3 in Phoenix... 118 degrees, even in the garage. A memorable experience, I assure you.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee