1990 240 clunking/ catching when in gear

Hello, I have a 1990 240 DL wagon that I just finished doing a whole lote of work on. I started it and everything seemed fine, but when I went to back it out of the garage, I noticed a clunking noise from the drivetrain (not on startup - more like something is catching on something else), and something feels like it is dragging? The clunk seems to be based on speed, but it's hard to tell, because I pulled it back into the garage right away and killed the motor. It happened in first on the way back in, too.

Some background - M47 5 speed manual tranny with rubber Flex Coupler - The tranny mount was broken, I replaced it, which changed the position of it (it was sagging a little). One of the bolts holding the Flex Coupler to the tranny flange was loose and being eaten away, so I replaced that as well. The bolt I used was slightly longer (Volvo prices TOO HIGH say Grog!), but I spun the driveshaft and it moved freely - although, it was on jack stands at the time... I also adjusted the parking brake, which could be it, although I did jack up each rear wheel Post Noise, and they both spun freely with the parking brake off, although, I did not jack the entire rear end up at once. One side at a time. lazy. The only thing I did to the tranny was change the nasty fluid, replaceing it with some ATF type F, which is what my Bentley manual said to use.

When it first started moving, it felt fine, then - clunk - the shifter moved as well. Went a little farther - clunk - shifter moved. I think it was worse with the clutch depressed (zoloft?), but??? Like I said, as soon as I heard it I pulled back into my garage and killed that mofuzzle.

Anybody else have this issue?? i plan on getting under there to look, but it's kinda hard to figure out, seeing as I would have to be under it when its moving to actually SEE the problem, and that probably aint gonna happen.

thanks

loren

Reply to
lolo

Regarding the transmission fluid: What does the VOLVO manual tell you to use? It's the manufacturers word that is valid.

Johan

Reply to
Johan Plane

if the tranny mount was broken, how about the engine mounts?

Reply to
Perry Noid

Reply to
lolo

Reply to
lolo

If the noise happened after you were working on it and it didn't happen before, then recheck your work. Since the only thing you did that was any different than before was to change the the drive shaft bolt, then perhaps the cure would be to remove that bolt, cut it to the proper length and reinstall it. If the noise only occurs relative to the turning of the drive shaft then you could look closely at the bolts through the flex-joint and see if the end of the bolt is contacting anything. The alignment of the shaft is straighter when the wheels are on the ground, so if there was clearance when the car was jcked up there should be clearance when it is a ride height. What ever it is, if it can move the transmission it will leave a mark.

Bob

Reply to
User

Very true! I'm thinking that its hitting the tranny mount, because when it catches it's kind of spongy. Either that or its the parking brake doing the old nut/ bolt trick with the poorly spun drums, and the "catch" is when the shoes reach the end of there "threading" and spring back. hmmm, wither way I gotta get under that !@^#$%$$% thing. Oh, well, almost done. The engine sounds great!! New rings and bearings all around....

thanks to everybody who posted to try and help me figure this out, I'll let ya know what it was in the end...

Loren

Reply to
lolo

It was the bolt barely hitting the shifter linkage....

thanks again

byebye

lolo wrote:

Reply to