850 brakes

Anyone any ideas and comments about this one. 1996 volvo 850 2 litre 20 valve. Sent it into the mechanic, brakes very spongy becoming harder with the next press of the pedal. Mechanic bled the brakes (60 quid, does this sound reasonable?) but pedal still low and although less spongy and more efficient depressing about a third of the pedal travel but still harder on the second press. Mechanic said it needs new discs as they are warped (I will agree with this as there is the classic symptoms of a warped disk but not severe). He says once the discs are replaced with new pads they should be as I want them. Also he says that the calipers become 'lazy' with age and they should also be replaced. In other words nearly all of the system replaced except master cylinder, pipes vacuum and abs unit. I always understood the 850 brakes were exceptional, they certainly were when i bought the car 2 years ago. A comment on another chat forum suggested that since the disks are warped, that they would push the piston back into the caliper, thus making the first press feel 'soggy'. Also, anyone know anything about drop links, symptoms of wear and replacement (how easy etc? Any comments and suggestions gratefully accepted. Sorry for the longish post! - Roy

Reply to
Roy Bolton

I had the same problem last year on my 1996 850. On the first pedal pressure the pedal travelled far and I felt that there was little resistance and on the second pedal pressure it was ok. Found that my front disc's was below limit in one front side and this was caused by a slightly hanging (lazy) caliber. Changed the front calipers and the front discs and everything went like new again.

"Roy Bolton" skrev i en meddelelse news:BF984811.516% snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com...

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

If the rotor is warped, it pushes the pistons back causing more pedal travel. Wear does not cause this since the pistons should stay just slightly above the surface no matter where that surface is if there is no wobble in the rotor. Of course air in the line will cause sponginess but that usually doesn't go away when you pump the brakes.

By the way, the main causes of warped rotors are improper torquing of the lug nuts and high speed stops.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
John Robertosn