02 Cabrio Brakes

2002 Cabrio

I had front rotors resurfaced and replaced pads. Due to time constraints and nagging wife as assistant, I only bled front brakes>

Now brakes are great, but pulsate. They worked fine before I renewed them.

Any ideas why fresh rotors and new pads would cause pulsation? Could it be air in rear portion? Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Anthony

Do you mean you feel the brake pedal pulsating under your foot? This is usually caused by warped discs but since you've just replaced them then either they weren't resurfaced right or one of them is not flat on the hub, possibly caused by something between the hub and the disc causing the disc to wobble.

Reply to
Homer

as Homer says, you have disc runout.......

Reply to
Harry

Thanks for the replies.

First I will get under and make sure caliper bolts are fully tightened. I will pull the rotors and check to make sure they are resting flat. I assumed that resurfacing was a rather idiot-proof process. Perhaps I am the idiot.

I had no problem with pulsing prior to repair. One rotor did have visible scoring, but the functionality was fine.

Could the machine shop have made them worse? Can I replace only one rotor, or must this be done on pairs? I've gotten quotes of about $35 each for new ones. I would have gotten new ones to begin with rether than spend $13 each to resurface.

I don't want to put in much money to this car as I am close to putting it up for sale. I do want it to be completely safe for the next owner. VW dealer wanted $600 for the job.

Reply to
Anthony

I'd bet on it just being something between the hub and the disc. Pull them off and give everything a good clean before you spend more money on it.

Reply to
Homer

Problem was warped rotors. Shop that resurfaced them did a poor job. Don't know how this is possible.

I got a pair of new rotors for $50. Car funs and stops fine now. Thanks for the input

Reply to
Anthony