850 Flashing arrow, but gearbox operates fine??????

My wife's '96 850 has recently suffered flashing orange arrow (and the gearbox mode selector button by gearlever flases orange) syndrome on a couple of occasions. It seems to happen when we are on the freeway traveling at about 70mph. It just comes on without any warning and the garbox still operates fine. Can select each individual gear, box changes up and down smoothly. Engine runs nicely to red line before changing up in sport mode.

I have searched the forum and notice that the PNP switch is often the cause of this problem, however I note that many people seem to have problem getting into top gear when the symptoms are dispayed - I do not have this issue. I have tried rapidly moving the gear lever through its positions in an attempt to see if the PNP contacts need cleaning but this makes no difference.

If I disconnect the battery for a few hours then re-connect the flashing arrow will disapper. It is a very irregular problem. Has happend 3 times in last 4 month, with about 300 to 500 miles in betwen occurences.

I am quite happy to have a go at replacing the PNP switch, there are very detailed instructions at Bay 13. However, since the gearbox itself is not malfunctioning I wonder if anyone has any advice on whether it is likely to be PNP switch or could it be something else. I don't have the OBD codes as here in Australia you have to pay $50 to $100 just to get them read.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Chris in Sydney (a lovely 25 degrees C today)

Reply to
Oxbucks

Read the codes. They will tell you what to replace.

Reply to
Stephen Henning