850 won't start

I got 1995 volvo 850 glt wagon and was cleaning it on Saturday. It was on for a while in key turned to position II (engine not running, just the radio and so on) when I was vacuuming the car inside. Later at night I tried to start it and it would just do a "click' somewhere in the engine compartment and then the clock would reset and it would not start.

Should I suspect a discharged battery or is it something more serious? I know that I should check with a multimeter but I do not have one right now.

Thanks,

Anatoli

Reply to
anatoli.milischuk

My first thought is for dirty battery terminals. Not having a multimeter is a setback. You can test for bad battery connection (not a sophisticated test, but usually good enough) by turning on the headlights and twisting the edge of a coin in the crack between the battery post and the clamp. Sparks and a crackling sound are a sure sign of bad connection. Side terminal batteries are harder to check that way and usually less prone to bad connection.

Otherwise I think the battery is discharged and perhaps defective.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee