87 240 rear wheel bearings

just replaced the front bearings with no problem, got to the back and a whole different story. it seems to be all inclosed with no chance of getting to the spindle. has anyone tried this or know where to find help with it? thanks

Reply to
jt

Are you sure they're bad? I've never even heard of the rear wheel bearings failing on a 240, if they're ok then by all means don't screw with them. If I had a bearing problem I'd replace the whole rear axel with one from a scrap yard, probably easier.

Reply to
James Sweet

You need to remove the halfshaft (remove rear brakes, caliper, rotor, handbrake shoes), then the 4 bolts holding the plate that holds in bearing. Then pull out the halfshaft, break off the collar (I use a high speed grinder) then press off the bearing. Pop on a new seal, the new greased bearing and a new collar. You need to use a pipe or similar so you're only pressing on the inner part of the bearing. Pull the race and inner seal out of the axle tube, put in the new and reassemble.

Reply to
Mike F

i guess i'm not sure, i have some really weird wear on the inside of the rear left tire and sometimes when i drive into a driveway it bottoms out and i thought that that was bearing related. any other thoughts on what it might be? thanks again jt bates

Reply to
jt

sounds more likely to be a suspension problem.... I think there are some rubber bushings that can wear or rot out, and that might allow the axle to shift slightly, causing the wear pattern to be abnormal.

Reply to
Frank Furter

Trailing arm bushings are the usual cause, the torque rod bushings wear out eventually too and rear axel alignment suffers.

Reply to
James Sweet