Service Light and Sunroof

Hi all,

I have two issues in my 1989 760 GLE that are currently only rated as minor annoyances but I'm still hoping to resolve them.

  1. The "Service" light. This came on and I was able to reset it by removing the rubber cap on the glass of the instrument panel and depressing the plunger concealed therein. This has only solved the problem partially: while pressing the button DOES reset the light, the light still comes on again every few days. Once reset it stays off for a few days and then returns. Otherwise it is functioning normally, illuminating when I start the car and extinguishing automatically after 2 minutes of running. Ideas? Secondary reset?

  1. The "centre position" on my sunroof seems to have disappeared. Used to be if the unroof was open (slid back) and you pushed the button to close it the thing would close and then, if you wanted to have it pop up in the back, you'd have to press the switch again. Similarly if the back was propped up and you wanted to open it fully you'd have to first shut it then press again to have it slide open. Now it just goes smoothly from one position to the next and it's a bit of a guessing game as to when it's actually shut. Is this electronic (some sensor) or mechanical (some pin) or something else entirely?

Thanks for any suggestions, Blurp

Reply to
blurp

There are limit switches built into the motor and gearbox housing which cut off the motor when the "roof closed" condition is satisfied.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

There an ingenious mechanism of gear driven cams, microswitches and a solenoid inside the sunroof motor that makes it stop in the center position. When the sunroof switch sticks, the solenoid is continually engaged, and burns out. Then the motor doesn't stop in the center position. I've actually disassembled the motor and rewound the solenoid to fix this problem.

Reply to
Mike F

On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:16:27 -0400, the illustrious Mike F favored us with the following prose:

That seems worth a try. Will the solenoid reasonably evident once I get the sunroof motor open? If I can do no good I'd like to at least do no harm since the motor DOES work otherwise.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

It's pretty obvious. There will probably be some light scorch marks visible on the outside of the white plastic housing where it's installed. You'll need a soldering iron, and make notes of which wire goes where.

Reply to
Mike F

On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:12:06 -0400, the illustrious Mike F favored us with the following prose:

Well I got it all open but the problem wasn't evident. Inside the white plastic part of the motor assembly I found a stacked pair of microswitches (each to kill the motor at either extreme end of travel) and a rod-and-coil-type electromagnetic plunger which appears to move to engage BOTH switches at the closed position. No scorch marks and all wiring connected, including the very fine ends of the copper coil. The lower microswitch does not work but the odds of getting a replacement seem impossible.

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll just live with it until I get a line on a cheap replacement for the whole thing (or get a manual crank assembly).

Thanks again, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Those microswitches are pretty standard. You should be able to match it at an electronic supply store.

Reply to
Mike F