'89 740 belching black smoke

I have a 740 (non-turbo) with ~143k on the odometer. It runs really nice, but is exhausting this smoke. It is barely perceptable at idle and just driving easily down the road. When it is accellerated hard it is very obvious. In the old days I would be looking for choke settings/adjustments. Now with everything fuel injected and computer controlled I am thinking sensors or ECM related. Can anybody help me diagnose this problem. It has stumped my local mechanics (admittedly not Volvo experts) to date.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

Reply to
Kirk Grau

Generally black smoke like this on a non turbo is caused by a bad air mass meter. Unfortunately there's no easy way to test except substitution.

Reply to
Mike F

settings/adjustments.

Reply to