'89 740 Idle speed

There is so much on this on the web I have totally confused myself. My car (B230E engine) idles at a fraction over 1000rpm. I don't think there is a fault as it is rock steady and idles smoothly, hot or cold, and starts perfectly.

From what I have read it ought to be idling at about 750-800rpm. From reading it appears that adjusting the idle involves more than just twiddling an adjustment screw, but then most of what I have read involves US spec cars with a different system to mine. I have the CI system with no complicated black boxes to mess up (according to the Haynes manual).

Is this a job best left to a garage who have gas analysis equipment.

Bill UK

Reply to
Bill

Under the throttle body there is a large knurled knob. Screw this in to reduce idle speed. You may have to have your CO value adjusted slightly at next MOT as a result of this. If it makes no difference or idle speed is variable, then either the auxilary air valve is leaking, or the throttle body needs cleaning / resetting.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim, I'll have a play tomorrow.

This is a car I picked up cheap and am gradually working through the various systems and getting it back in good order.

Bill

Reply to
Bill