90 240 ignition timing problem

I just finished laying an engine into a 90 Volvo 240 wagon.

It runs for two minutes, will not restart (no fuel pressure). I replace main relay. It starts now.

The base timing (non-adjustable EZ-116K ignition) seems to be about ~45-60 degrees BTDC which is way advanced. Idle staggers and spark knocks badly while driving. It runs for 15 minutes, will not restart (no spark).

I replace the flywheel/crankshaft ignition pickup, it starts now with the same ignition timing problem as before.

I made a point of indexing the flywheel/flexplate to the crankshaft when I swapped it onto the new engine (92 240), so that it was aligned as it was on the old engine. There is a small possibility that I wasn't paying full complete attention, was smoking crack cocaine or something, and have the flywheel/flexplate w/ hall effect wheel misaligned. I really can't see any other possible cause of my problem, and I don't really want to have to yank the transmission to check/adjust/etc.

Any Volvo gurus out there care to speculate? Thanks.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Davis

position of the crank sensor will make the timing more advance or retard.

Joseph Davis ¼g¤J¡G

Reply to
TWC