90 740 starting problems

Seems too obvious, but is it possible the wires were put on so they match the plugs to the wrong distributor locations? There may be a "1" on the cap near the point for the front plug, the third point counting from the exhaust side. The firing order is 1-3-4-2

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I just replaced the cap on mine a few weeks ago, IIRC the order of the plug wires on the distributor cap looking from the front of the car from left to right are 4-3-1-2. It's a bit confusing since the connectors are all on one side of the cap.

Reply to
James Sweet

I was reading from Haynes, which makes it more difficult. Your description is better, since it looks like Haynes started with 1 arbitrarily. Once the rotation direction is considered I think the two patterns are the same, but Haynes makes us jump through all the hoops.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I just replaced spark plugs and wire and now the car doesn't start. What seems to be the problem? All help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
EC Jazz

They are the same, like I said though it's confusing because of the design of the cap, the connections aren't neatly arranged in a circle.

Reply to
James Sweet

I bought a new cap and rotor last night just to prove the point! . . . No - I confess. I bought them because my '85 only got me 90% of the way to work yesterday mornng. It started misfiring under load when I left the house, and the misfire progressed so that the engine was firing on only two cylinders within 10 minutes. The old cap couldn't have been more than 10 or 12 years old. 8^P

Anyway, the new Bosch cap has the cylinders marked and they are exactly as you described (and so are the wires on the old cap!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee