'90 740 Turbo - Water valve, Wot to do

Hey all. For those wondering if I got the water pump off, I did. Long story short, I had to find the 2nd bolt on the return tube near the turbo mount in order to free it and the pump. Very exciting, not really.

Having figured out said problem, I have discovered the water valve (or heater valve?) to be unattached. Its pretty thoroughly rusted out, and was lying in such a way as to suggest it had not been attached in quite some time. Neither A/C or heat have worked in my car in quite some time, so I'm not worried about that. Since I can't find any good diagrams online, is this something that will prevent me from driving once the water pump, etc is back in? I don't even know where to put a new one in. I can't tell how integral is it to the coolant system, this Chilton manual is worthless.

Thanks again for any and all advice,

Again.

Skonnie

The car will run without a heater valve if it's been bypassed, but the part is so cheap why not replace it and have working heat? It goes in between the heater core and the engine, the heater core pipes poke out of the firewall. There's also a small vacuum hose to control the heater valve.

Reply to
James Sweet

The heater valve has definitely been bypassed, tho that may be only the first in a series of things that would need to be fixed in order for me to have heat. There is no fan or blower action at all, leading me to think that these might have been disconnected as well. But that's tomorrow's project.

Neither Haynes, Chilton, vlvworld.com or anywhere else seems to have good diagrams of the heater valve and surrounding area. Any links or tips?

Thank you, Mr. Sweet.

Skonnie

This URL is for 700/900, but I believe them to be identical to the 200's as well:

joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks, Joe. For those who care (all three of us apparently) I got the pump in, but was stymied by a lower radiator hose that failed right at the turbo tube. Coolant everywhere, even before I got a chance to start her up. Funny enough, it was one of the first leaks I noticed several weeks ago when this whole saga began. In all this Kenneth Starr-esque roving investigation, I totally forgot about it. What's another 3 to 4 days after all this wait anyway.

I'll check the links, thanks. Heat would be great, especially during the foggy torrential rains we get here occasionally. Its hard to stop every 5 minutes to clear up the windshield.

Off to drink heavily.

Skonnie

The heating system in a 200 is completely different than the one in a

700/900. The engine and transmission are pretty much the same but that's about it.
Reply to
James Sweet

Well better that the hose failed there than out on the road somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet