91'740 wagon new info on shudder problem

Thanks to all who have posted about the shudder problem in my newly acquired '91 740 wagon. I have noticed that the shudder occurs in Drive and Reverse at 5000 RPM when I have the brake depressed. If I have it in Drive and it is above 5000-no problem. In park at about 7500-no problem. When the shudder occurs if I shift it into Neutral then the shudder stops. Of course when it is shifted into neutral the RPM goes to over 5000. I did have the transmission power flushed last Friday. Put cleaner in before and conditioner in after. But...the transmission fluid was an O'Reilly brand..store brand generic. Would it have made any difference if I had put in Pennzoil or Valvoline or a name brand tranny fluid? Any comments shall be appreciated. I'm taking the car to the import shop in the morning. Thanks, James B

Reply to
James B.

Did you add an extra zero, Jim?

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like you know him, but if you don't, have you considered the possibility that he's a qualified pilot trained to keep the throttles in the 'zone'? In which case it's the 'dropping to 5000 when in neutral' that's the real problem here :-)

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Did you really mean 7500rpm 5000rpm if so its about to explode or internally haemorrhage?. Please tell us your kidding .

Reply to
John Robertson

you're right. it's 500 RPM..sorry

Reply to
James B.

I'd say then the problem is the idle is too low. Start by cleaning the throttle body, idle valve and make sure that all tune up parts (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter) are OK and there are no vacuum leaks.

Mike F

> --

Reply to
James B.

IIRC all 740s after '85 had the distributor cap on the back of the cylinder head. It's actually easier than it looks to get to, but you need an 8mm wrench. I have a little box end 8mm with a ratcheting insert that I use for this, works great.

Reply to
James Sweet