'92 240 A/C

What on the '92 240 cycles the compressor, as there is no temp control (cycle timer) and only an On/Off switch. The A/C on a 84 model I owned had a cycle timer control. My 740 cycles, but the '92 240 my son recently purchased runs continuously. Think this may be a problem, as the evaporator and the freon lines ice up and he needs to turn the A/C off to defrost.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe D

Sounds like it's low on refrigerant.

Chuck Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

The A/C system on the '92 is of the same design as that on the 740, whereas the A/C on the '84 was a different type. On the '92, look for the pressure switch on the receiver-drier. This is what controls evaporator temperature by not allowing the pressure to fall below approx. 25 psi. With the A/C running, pull the electrical plug off this switch and see if the compressor turns off. If it does, then you need a pressure gauge on the low side to monitor the pressure. If it doesn't then you have a wiring problem. On the bright side, there's a valve under the switch, so it can be changed easily without discharging the system.

Reply to
Mike F