'89 A/C question.

Lately my A/C compressor has been engaging and disengaging by itself. The compressor is only 2 years old and It did have a really slow freon leak up until a month and a half ago where they said they supposedly fixed the leak . I was wondering if that may be a sign of low A/C pressure or maybe a bad switch. Any thoughts?

Reply to
RchrdLuke

Randolph

That sounds like it may be it. Does that mean I have to replace the switch/evaporator or is there an easier fix to keep it on? Thanks.

Reply to
RchrdLuke

I dont know if this has anything to do with the problem you are describing, but I just found out my 91 with AC, the compressor cycles on and off if the heater switch is set on defrost. And the fan also comes on no matter the temperature. If the switch is in any other position, the compressor does not cycle. I assume this is to remove moisture from the cabin on the defrost setting.

Cheers Jay

Reply to
Doiron Family

If I understood your original post right, I am not sure you really have a problem. The A/C cycling on and off is normal. If it is really hot it will stay on all the time, in more moderate temperatures it will cycle.

Does the A/C adequately cool your car? If not, look at the condenser (in front of the radiator). If it is full of insect carcasses etc. or if the radiator fan isn't working properly you would not get sufficient cooling of the refrigerant and the system would disengage the A/C clutch due to over-pressure on the high pressure side of the system. (there are two pressure switches, one on the high side that usually trips on inadequate cooling in the condenser, and one on the low side that usually trips if the system is low on refrigerant).

Also if there is insufficient air flow through the evaporator (blockages etc.) the thermoswitch would disengage the A/C clutch as it is supposed to, but air coming out of the vents would not be particularly cold.

RchrdLuke wrote:

Reply to
Randolph