93 240 Stuck in Over Drive

My 93 240 seems to be stuck in O/D. When I press and de-press the O/D button the light on the instrument panel lights and then turns off when I de-press the botton. But the car does not seem to be effected. When I go about 50 mph the car seems to not switch into final gear, but seems to be holding back like the O/D is stuck on. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JS

Reply to
jsegura525

If it does eventually shift into the top gear, the OD wiring and solenoid are probably fine. I'd start by checking the kickdown cable to see if it's binding.

Reply to
James Sweet

The overdrive should be on all the time. Unless you might be pulling a trailer in the mountains. if it isnt coming on could be the switch, wireing, relay or solonide. Check IPD Volvo after market dist they now sell a blank to replace the solonide so it will stay on all the time.

Reply to
Volvo Guy

My mistake....The O/D is stuck OFF. And it won't turn on. I will check the relay right now.... Thanks, Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

I looked further into the problem and the relay switch is working correctly. What it really seems like is that the car is not shifting into final gears, sort of like its stuck in third? This is an automatic 240. JS

Reply to
jsegura525

What is the kickdown cable? Where is it located? Thanks, JS

Reply to
jsegura525

I checked the relay and swapped it with a second 240, it is fine. The car seems to get stuck in 3rd gear? Thanks, Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525