93 ford areostar sliding passanger door probs

my sliding door on my 93 areostar wont open it sounds okay key turns handle works when i take the panel on the inside off seems to be together and funtioning but it refuses to open any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
likemyoung

Look closely inside the door. I believe there was a latch at each end of the door. Check the linkage to the rear latch to make sure it is connected. I recall seeing, a couple of times, the striker on the rear latch working loose and jamming the door. Also, if the door is misaligned due to wear, it can jam up on the rear striker. If everything looks ok, have someone pull the release handle while you give the rear of the door a swift kick from the inside. The door must move outward at the rear to open. If it is binding, even slightly, pulling rearward on the handle doesn't give enough force to move the door outward.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

thanks alot tom ill try that for sure

Reply to
likemyoung

or you can be a butcher and

take a small grinder with a cutting blade... you will have to take the interior panel off and cut a square in the metal door to access the lock mechanism attatched to the door

if you do it right, it should be right there and no one will ever know

Reply to
mathusala_jones

tried tip 1 no luck .thanks anyhow much appreicated. as for tip 2 i have a question would it be easier to drill out rivets on the latch assembly and if so when i remove that riveted plate that looks like it holds assembly will it puke out parts.How will i replace those oversized rivets ,do i need a special rivet gun?

Reply to
shitbox owner