'94 940 not starting when cold

This is similar to the '92 740 post. I have a '94 940 that starts great except for the really cold days. (Canada) On these cold days the motor turns over strong (until I wear out the battery and resort to boosting). Boosting doesn't help. The engine will fire for a VERY short time (.5 sec) I have replaced distributor cap, fuel filter, plugs and always have gas line antifreeze in the tank. As soon as the weather warms up it starts and runs great.

In another post the group mentioned a cold start injector. Would a Canadian

940 have such a device? Is there anything else I can check or have looked into?

The ironic thing is that on these coldest days of the year my 1980 Bertone starts right up and brings me to work.

Thanks for your comments in advance. You are a helpful group.

Doug Wildeboer Toronto Canada.

Reply to
DW

I had the same problem with my 87. Believe it or not, it was a tiny bit of frost on fuse #1...the fuse that controls the fuel pump. Give the fuse a slight twist in the socket and see if that helps.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Doug, your 940 will most certainly have a Cold Start Injector unless it has a 16-valve twin-cam motor.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

There are several things that can cause grief, starting with technique. Avoid short, repeated cranks, engage the starter for longer periods of time, and don't touch the throttle until the engine actually starts, or you'll flood it.

Then there's the standard tuneup stuff, air filter, plugs, cap, rotor, wires. Other parts that can cause intermittent problems when cold could be the crankshaft sensor (on bell housing below the distributor), radio suppression relay (black 4 pin relay, usually mounted on a shock tower) or fuel pump relay (white 6 pin relay behind the fuses on the center console).

Don't worry about your cold start valve. If you have one and it's not working you'll notice hard starting at much warmer (even above the freezing point) temperatures.

Reply to
Mike F