940 SE

I own a 940 SE turbo sedan (2.0 Ltr turbo) from 1992 since a couple of weeks, and it's a nice car in every way. But is there anyone who can tell me what it means "SE". Most of the cars are "GL" or similar. What's the difference between SE and GL???? Can anyone give me the answer please. THANKS. Peter.

1995 - 2003: '86 Volvo 360 GL injection 2003 - ?? : '92 Volvo 940 SE Turbo sedan
Reply to
P.M.A. Melissen

"P.M.A. Melissen" schreef in bericht news:Ibebb.328226$ snipped-for-privacy@castor.casema.net...

The letters SE were used in America for a Turbo-car; in Europe it would be:

940Turbo. Oftewel (je bent waarschijnlijk NL): je hebt óf een uit de VS geïmporteerde auto óf een auto die ooit door een Amerikaan in Navo- of diplomatieke dienst is geweest in Europa.
Reply to
Ton Franken

Don't hold me to it but here's this: SE - sport edition? GLE - grand luxury edition? TS - touring sedan RS - rally sport LE - limited edition NXS - in excess?(!) L - limited SS - super sport...

etc, I have mixed in a lot of makes here, but just to make the point. marketing terms?

Reply to
Robert

Was it only in America? I have never seen a 940 SE in Canada. We have 940,

940GLE and 940 Turbo, then there is the 960 at the top of the 900 model range. Our 700's were 740, 740GLE, 740 GLE 16 Valve, 740 Turbo, 760, 760GLE, 760 Turbo, 780.

geïmporteerde

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If it's like North America that indicates you have the 960 body with the

4 cylinder turbo engine. Does the car have independent rear suspension?
Reply to
Mike F

When the 900 series came out in 1991 the boffins at Volvo decided the inline 6 wasn't ready for us. So the 960 that year got the turbo 4 cylinder and was named the 940SE. That's the only year you'll see in US/Canada. There are a couple currently for sale in Ontario on autotrader.ca (one is called a 940 SG).

Reply to
Mike F

I don't know if the car have independent rear suspension, I believe so, but I'm not sure. It was built in Sweden and originally imported to the Netherlands in 1992. (the numberplate is also from 1992). And I don't have the history of the car. The seats are leather. Under the hood lies the 200FT engine (2.0Ltr Turbo) (155Bhp). The gearbox is 4+OD (M46). Never drove this before either, always 5-gear, but it's easy to get used to this. Sometimes I still want to go to the 5th gear and than I realise, ohhhhh yes, it's OD. Further no problems with it. The are some things I have to replace by myself, like the electrical antenna. It works half and soon I look for a replace one. The AC doesn't work either anymore, but the cooling-medium R134a is since a few years forbidden here, and to change the whole AC is very expensive. But maybe in Belgium or France I still can get this type of gas. That's all I can tell you about the car. I bought it with 200.000KM on the counter, that's not too much for an 11 years old vehicule like VOLVO.

regards Peter

Reply to
P.M.A. Melissen

In Europe there were SE editions for the 240 models as well from 1991 untill

1993. As far as I know SE meant: 'Special Edition' These were the last models made of this 240, but they made SE models for the 940 as well. The turbo version in Europe was the 960 / Turbo which has the 4 cylinder turbo engine instead of the 6I.

vriendelijke groeten

Reply to
wim meerschaut

SE in my opinion means Special Edition, or Sport Edition GL - grand lux DL - De Lux GLE - Grand Lux Executive GLT - Grand Lux Turbo GT - Grand Turismo GLS - Grand Lux Sport

non Volvo

LE - Luxury Edition CE - Crappy Edition :-) GLX - same as GLE VE - ??? LX - Luxury ES - Economy.... ? even tho its on higher line cars

I can't figure out the badging of some cars, I think Volvo had a good thing going tho, the letters and all the numbers actually meant something at one point in time. We actually had a 242 and a 244.... not just a generic 240DL (had one of those too), then they got lazy and called every car by its series like 740, 760 etc...

Now it works too, S - sedan V- versitile (wag>

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Ahh... I see. Well 900 series Volvo's are rare in Ontario.... that is probably why I have never seen a 940SE.

940 Turbo's are fairly common (for being pretty sparse in numbers), and base 940s... 960 sedans are few and far between, and only in the newer versions (never seen an older style 960 sedan, with split headlamp/foglamps, only 760's), I have seen three V90's > >
Reply to
Rob Guenther

In UK the 940 SE is a legitimate model the SE standing for Special Equipment or Sporting Equipment depending on which dealer sold it to you. The 960 Turbo was the UK/Europe equivalent of the 760 Turbo and existed for the first year only. We have a few good examples on the VOC 700/900/90 register.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Was it only in America? I have never seen a 940 SE in Canada. We have 940, : > 940GLE and 940 Turbo, then there is the 960 at the top of the 900 model : > range. Our 700's were 740, 740GLE, 740 GLE 16 Valve, 740 Turbo, 760, 760GLE, : > 760 Turbo, 780. : >

: : When the 900 series came out in 1991 the boffins at Volvo decided the : inline 6 wasn't ready for us. So the 960 that year got the turbo 4 : cylinder and was named the 940SE. That's the only year you'll see in : US/Canada. There are a couple currently for sale in Ontario on : autotrader.ca (one is called a 940 SG). : : -- : Mike F. : Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. : : Change cant to ca and remove parentheses to email me directly.

Reply to
Peter Milnes